The Title Tag is therefore critical for:
- CTR - to entice search engine and social media users to click to your page (i.e. improve your click through rate).
- SEO - to enhance the way that a search engine ranks your web page (i.e. improve your search engine optimisation).
OPTIMISING YOUR TITLE TAG FOR ALL USE CASES
- You can use up to 60 characters for your Title Tag on Google. If you keep your Tittle Tag below 60 Characters, research suggests that 90% of your title will display correctly.
- The Title Tag is not just used by Google, therefore it is best to write concise information about the article in the first 15 characters.
An optimum format can read:
Keyword One - Keyword Two | Business Name
Your Title Tag is used in the following locations.
- Browser (often in the Browser Tab and at the top of the browser)
- Search Engine Results Page (SERP)
- External Websites E.g. Social Media Anchor (such as an ad, or news feed link)
When optimising your title tag always consider the following:
- Readability - should look natural
- Relevance - should be about your page
- Emotion - should encourage clicks